Saturday, 12 November 2011

Teversal v Grimsby Borough Saturday 5th November 2011 NCEL Division One

I leave Cleethorpes on an overcast day, but with no rain, not too bad for a football trip. The weather soon changes and I endure very heavy rain on the M18 and M1 and it is still raining when I reach the Teversal Grange Sports & Social Centre, Carnarvon Street, home to Teversal FC.

It is still raining as I wander about the car park for some pictures. The ground is situated next to the The Teversal Trails Visitors Centre. The trails follow the track beds of the former colliery railways which, together with the local footpaths, provide a network of varied and enchanting walks through countryside that is abundant with wildlife. Much of the network has now been designated a Local Nature Reserve due to its valuable and fascinating flora, fauna and geology. A Coal Garden, incorporating a variety of artifacts from the local colliery, including Pit Wheels, marks the entrance to the trails themselves.

Pit wheel at the park entrance

The entrance to the turnstiles is fronted by a new set or iron gates with the Club name picked out in the middle and they look very impressive. I'm even asked if I would like to buy a pair of gates!

You go through the gates and the turnstiles are to the right and bring you into the corner of the ground. To the right are the dressing rooms, Clubhouse and hospitality room. Thankfully the rain has stopped and so I set off to make sure I get my photos before it starts again. I head to the left of where I came in, behind the goal.

As you can see, there is a white railing running the whole length of the end with a one level hard standing area and a further area behind this. This end also gives you a good view of the Main Stand on the far side.

As you reach the corner the railing and hard standing continues to the stand. There is a barrier either side of the seating stand pointing out that there is no standing allowed in front of the stand.

After the main are of the stand there is another small section of seating with a single row of seats and a bench behind these. There were not many takers for these as I am pretty sure that the dugouts would block your view of the pitch.

After the stand there is the white railing and hard standing again with a grassy area running up to the perimeter fence.

This leads you to the opposite end where we came in. This has the hard standing running along it's length and there are two covered areas either side of the goal.

These two covered areas have an unusual cover, something which I had heard about before I came here and was usually in a derogatory way. As you can see they have used Tesco Trolley Park shelters. Personally I think they are brilliant and would give you reasonable cover on a rainy day.

The next side of the ground has the same format of white railing and hard standing leading down to the dressing rooms area at the end.

At the far end of this side of the ground, as I have said, are the dressing rooms and in the corner after this there is a very smart Clubhouse with a bar showing Sky Sports and the "tea hut" is also in here with a good choice on offer.

I go inside and watch the last 10 minutes or so of the Sky game with two fellow Boro fans who have made the journey before heading out for kick off. Boro set off attacking the Trolley end and begin confidently. Six minutes in and Lee Stephenson puts Boro 1-0 up following up a spilled George Newby shot.

Minutes later it could have been two when Andy Taylor just fires wide. Its all Boro in the early stages and the chances keep coming but poor finishing keeps the score at 1-0. On 25minutes George Newby fires in a shot which takes a deflection which beats the keeper only for the ball to hit the crossbar and go out for the corner. Boro really should be further ahead and I start to wonder if we will rue these missed opportunities. Teversal start to get back into the game and on 35 minutes they find their equaliser. A good passage of play results in the ball being played to Greg Tobin on the edge of the box and he places his shot just inside the post and beyond Leigh Cook in the Boro goal. 1-1.

This seemed to stun Boro and it is Teversal who have the better of the game up to half time.
The second half starts with Teversal beginning much better than in the first half. A change of tactics cuts out the space that Boro exploited in the first half and makes it difficult for Boro to play with the same fluency that they showed in the first half. The Teversal players are really up for the game and are playing some decent football. The early pressure pays off on 53 minutes when Greg Tobin scores his second with accurate angled shot after good approach play. This stirs Boro up and they start to play better but with no end result. Both teams have chances but it is Teversal who score the fourth and best goal of the match. On 78 minutes Ryan Atkins gets the ball on the left of the box and fires in a terrific shot which arrows into the top corner of the net to make it 3-1 to Teversal.

This effectively finished the game although Teversal were reduced to 10 men when Danny Pearson picked up a second yellow. To be fair, the game had been played in a good spirit and in my eyes it was a genuine challenge that did not warrant a booking but there was an assessor present and I think this was why he picked up the second booking. Despite this Teversal were able to see the game out and win 3-1.

A disappointing result for Boro but it was an enjoyable day. Everyone I met was friendly and I had some good chats with the locals, which is what it is all about.

More pictures of Carnarvon Street here.

There are more pictures of the ground, action and the fans here.

Teversal 3-1 Grimsby Borough
Att: 45
Admission: £4
Programme: £1.00

No comments:

Post a Comment