Sunday, 4 April 2010

Game 57 - Kendal Town v Hucknall Town Saturday 27th March 2010 Unibond Premier League

The mad dash from Holker to Kendal saw us arrive at the Lakeland Radio Stadium at half time. Once we had parked the car, the problem was how to get into the ground. To my surprise the gates are open and as we get nearer I realise why. There is a portable food van in the car park which was serving fans from the game. We went in through the open gate into the ground. While Mrs Reynard avails herself of the facilities I speak to a couple of people nearby to find out the score at half time. But first I get some grief as it turns out one of these guys is the driver of the Hucknall bus and he's a Forest fan with a chip on his shoulder about Leicester. What a great start! I discover it's 1-1 and I then make my way to the table set up in the near stand where Kendal merchandise is on sale and buy a badge.
We make our way clockwise round the ground. The side we came in has a covered stand which only extends about a third of the way down the side.

A little way down this side are the dugouts and behind them is a 7-step terrace.

There is a wide hard standing single level behind the goal at this end.

The next side of the ground has two separate covered seated stands resplendent in the black and white colours of the Club.

The end where we came in is split between terracing and seats with the large Clubhouse behind.

We settled down to enjoy some football at last. The second half started entertainingly enough with both sides having chances. Kendal's winger, Carl Osman, was really shining and was causing Hucknall's defence plenty of problems. There was a big shout for a penalty when he was brought down, but much to the annoyance of the home crowd the referee gave nothing. The turning point of the game came on 63 minutes. After a bad challenge on Kendal's Wright, a mass confrontation involving most of the players from both sides flared up. After the referee restored order he gave a second yellow to O'Brien of Hucknall. All the pressure was now on the Hucknall goal and on 75 minutes Kendal took the lead when Wright fired home after a good run from Osman. Three minutes later it was 3-1 when Stopworth scored for the home side. To be honest it was all one way traffic now and how Kendal did not extend their lead I do not know.
The final whistle came to send the home crowd away happy with a convincing win in the end.
I'm glad we went to Kendal even if it meant we only saw 45 minutes of football. Its a really nice ground and worth the effort to visit.

More pictures of The Lakeland Stadium here.

Kendal Town 3-1 Hucknall Town
Att: 196
Badge: £3

No comments:

Post a Comment