Wednesday 2 December 2009

Game 26 - Scunthorpe United v Leicester City 28th November 2009 Coca Cola Championship

Ok, so what happened to Liversedge I hear you cry. Well due to my daughters ill advised argument with a HGV on the M1 this was a game I missed. The weather also put paid to a couple of other planned visits so my latest report is on the visit of the Foxes to Glanford Park, home to Scunthorpe United since 1988 after leaving the Old Show Ground.


For me personally, this is the least attractive looking ground from the outside in the Football League. I've been to Glanford Park on numerous occasions but I've only ever sat in the away end, lived in Grimsby too long to be sitting with the home fans! Inside the ground is ok, but the major problem with the away end are the facilities, not because they are poor, indeed the food and drink has always been pretty good when I've had it, but because with a large following the corner positioning of the facilities is inadequate. Not a problem when I'm here on a freezing night in December with the small following from Shrewsbury though.
I wander off to take some photos before kick off. The two side stands are both seated but the North Stand opposite the away stand is standing.


Back to my seat and I have a post in the way that is blocking my view of the penalty area of the goal at this end. The game kicks off and City are quickly into their stride and after 3 minutes are 1-0 up courtesy of Martin Waghorn whose pace is troubling Scunny early on. City spurn several chances due in the main to a great performance by Murphy in the Scunthorpe goal. City go in 1-0 up at half time, thoroughly deserved. Scunthorpe come out and play better in the second half but do not really trouble Chris Weale. City continue to make chances but cannot extend their lead and this comes back to haunt them as Scunthorpe equalise with virtually the last kick of the game through sub Martin Woolford. Disappointing but not the end of the world.
Although it takes about 25 minutes to get out of the car park we are home for 6pm. I wish we got home from home games as quick.

Scunthorpe United 1-1 Leicester City
Att: 6,884
Admission: £18

More photos of Glanford Park here.

No comments:

Post a Comment