Friday 19 February 2010

Game 42 - North Ferriby United v Bradford Park Avenue Tuesday 16th February 2010 Unibond Premier

It was back over the Humber Bridge tonight for the visit of league leaders Bradford Park Avenue to Grange Lane, home of North Ferriby United. The last time I had seen BPA play was round about 1969/1970 when they were a League side and they visited Grimsby Town. They were not re-elected to the Football League in 1970 and were replaced by Cambridge United. They eventually went into liquidation, reformed as a Sunday League side and started the long climb back through the non-league pyramid.
I'm afraid I have to apologise again for both the poor quality and quantity of the pictures. Once again my camera could not cope with the lighting tonight and to compound matters, my batteries died on me and the replacements I had with me were dead too! Hopefully this is a problem of the past now, as my new camera has arrived and will be making it's debut at Cambridge City this Saturday.

As usual this season, I enter the ground in a corner with an open terrace behind the goal in front of me. To the left of the turnstiles was the tea hut, toilets, changing rooms, Club shop and a very large and impressive Clubhouse which was already busy with customers. There is hard standing all along this side with some cover where the changing rooms are.


I make my way along this side towards the opposite corner to where I came in. Behind the goal at this end there is further hard standing with two steps. Behind this end there is an all weather pitch and some young lads were taking advantage, having a kick about before the game.


I'm now heading for the far side of the ground, behind which the railway line runs and you can see the trains heading to and from Hull during the game. There is a covered stand on this side with both standing and seated areas.



I then carry on along this side back to the end I first saw as I came in, again this has two steps of terracing and through the open gate I could see the local allotment. Don't worry veggie lovers, a net system prevented the ball going and damaging any of the produce being grown. The ground is very neat and the facilities are excellent and I would recommend the Club shop, as it has a wide range of badges and programmes.
I take a seat in the stand and it is apparent that BPA have brought a healthy following with them. They are soon cheering their team as they take the lead on 3 minutes. A fierce shot from Hall is only parried by keeper Wilson and Matty James pounces to open the scoring. 10 minutes later it is 2-0, as a good cross from the right is met with an excellent header from Chris Hall. Just as I was starting to think this was looking an easy win for BPA, Alex Davidson cut the deficit on 14 minutes. The movement of the Ferriby team was starting to cause BPA all sorts of problems and the equaliser came on 19 minutes from Bradshaw after a good run from Davidson created the chance. The game ebbed and flowed with both teams continuing to create chances but there was no further score at half time.
At half time a heavy downpour drove most people under cover and it only stopped as the second half kicked off. Ferriby picked up where they had left off and on 59 minutes took the lead for the first time tonight. Bradshaw chased a ball into the corner and crossed for Mark Whitehouse to drive home. It was all one way traffic now and BPA suffered a further blow on 62 minutes when Baldry was sent off for a second yellow. The chances continued to come for The Villagers and a fourth goal came on 76 minutes when Chris Bolder scored with a fine header from a great cross from Russel Fry. BPA were unable to come back from this and Ferriby ran out 4-2 winners.
This was one of the best games of the season for me with some excellent football and Ferriby ran out worthy winners. An enjoyable night and home by 10.20pm. Lovely.

More pictures of Grange Lane here.

North Ferriby United 4-2 Bradford Park Avenue
Att: 288
Admission: £8
Programme: £2
Badge: £3

No comments:

Post a Comment